Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rocky France versus Fruity Wash


As I cruised up and down the tables (tableaux?) of various French wines at a large distributor's recent tasting, I found myself finding most of the wines too hard-edged and minerally. Not enough fruit. Suddenly, I realized the obvious: My palate has been forever molded by the excellent (and wonderfully-priced) wines of Washington! Talk about fruit forward, and balance! Many mid-range French wines just don't have it. I am sure it is the "correct" style for France to be sharp, thin, and minerally, but I don't care for it.

***Of course, I love aged Bordeaux and many other French wines; my above generalization is only that.

Funny thing, though, to see yourself for what you are, and to realize how much a sense of place, an understanding and appreciation of what is around you, means. And to think just how lucky we are, to live so near such a wonderful wine region (as Yakima, Tri Cities, and Walla Walla).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Your Health: Getting Real

 Here are two articles on wine and our health: 1. First article : Grapes are a superfood that lower bad chloresterol. Many of their healthy ...