Monday, September 19, 2016

New Winemaker

I was contacted by a person interested in making wine, and asking how do they start. Here's what I wrote back:

Making wine:
1. How are you at chemistry? If chemistry (and math) are really difficult and not fun, then you won't like winemaking.
2. Are you able to spend over half of your "winemaking" time cleaning and sterilizing things? 
3. Are you OK being alone for long periods?
4. To start, I'd suggest you get a good winemaking book (try several and pick the one that speaks best to you) and treat it as your bible. Mine is "Home Winemaking Step by Step," by Jon Iverson. Read everything you can about the process, online--blogs, articles. And volunteer at a working winery. When you start your own batch, do a small one. Maybe do a kit first, though I never did a kit.

2 comments:

  1. Reply:
    1. No chemistry was not my favorite thing in school, but I was OK at math, and my husband is very good at both chemistry & math.
    2. I'm good with cleaning - it's peaceful.
    3. Alone is fine - but I don't live alone and my husband and I will embark on this adventure together.
    4. I got the book you suggested as well as "The Backyard Vintner, an Enthusiast's Guide to Growing Grapes & Making Wine at Home", by Jim Law. Also, "The Organic Backyard Vineyard, a step-by-step guide to growing your own grapes", by Tom Powers. I've been reading and am excited to get started with our little vineyard!

    Thanks for the book suggestions and look forward to meeting you.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim! You are the greatest, and I deeply value your hard work and support, and your ideas. Excited to witness your journey into winemaking and grapegrowing!

    Kenton

    ReplyDelete

Wine and Your Health: Getting Real

 Here are two articles on wine and our health: 1. First article : Grapes are a superfood that lower bad chloresterol. Many of their healthy ...